Saturday, November 8, 2008

blessed.

I have been thinking a lot lately about a lot of things. That happens occasionally and the holiday season really triggers my thoughtfulness. 

Here is one for you all. I went to Starbucks this evening. I had been craving caffeine all day. I am very tired today for some reason, but that is beside the point. So I went to the Starbucks and I noticed that the parking lot was somewhat busy, which can be normal. And then I went inside and there were a lot of people, again, not uncommon. Then I realized that all those people were waiting for their drinks. And then I noticed the poor barista who was making all of the drinks by himself. I felt terrible for him. I knew that he must know that all those people are irritated with him. So I ordered my drink and waited patiently, while I could see all the people growing more and more impatient. 

I  was texting people while I waited and Britts in all her wisdom stated all the people shouldn't get irritated just because a lot of other people had the same idea as they did. Which is such an awesome way to look at it.

Regardless, it is so sad that we have come to the point where we get so annoyed that we have to wait for our speciality, over-priced coffee beverages. When did Starbucks become such a high priority on our "things to get annoyed about waiting for" list. I have been at my job a week, and I have seen things that make me think SO much about what we are placing our priorities in. God did not create us to get angry at baristas who are not moving fast enough for us. People should be walking around annoyed and angry that there are people going without meals just so their children can eat. People who aren't eating because they are waiting for their food stamps to become valid. Those people aren't angry they have to wait. They are grateful that they are getting food stamps at all. We should be standing in Starbucks in gratefulness. We are blessed people, regardless of what you think you need and don't have. 

At first I was scared to do this job. Now I am grateful to God for allowing me to work in such an impoverished area. It is really opening my eyes to how bad things have become. I hope that God will use me to aide these families according to His will and that it will open MY eyes to how blessed we really are. And I hope I can continue to communicate this effectively to the people around me. I think it's something we are really missing. Since we don't see it, we don't acknowledge it. But I am seeing it and it is making me sad. SO I apologize if I'm all in your face about the things I'm seeing, but I feel God wants people to know. I will do my best to inform. :)

So please remember how much God has blessed your life. I know there will be things you feel are unfair, but at least you have food to eat, a roof on your head, and pillows to lay your head on. Some people aren't that lucky.

6 comments:

The Wife said...

You are right. I want to hear what you are seeing out there. I want to be reminded of my needs, not my wants.

The Wife said...

But on a serious note. They could afford to hire more employees right?

Zombie said...

Sorry, that was adam posting under laura's name

hillary said...

They could probably use more people. But they aren't hiring...is that what you mean?

Nicole said...

Great reminder! We should hook up in the D after work sometime. I could show you some cool spots!

junglemama said...

Nice post. You are so right.