Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Urgent.

I don't care what people say. God exists. He does amazing things. He works miracles. Even now. He may not be raising people from the dead or calming storms in a literal sense, but spiritually, He does. He calms my storms. He pulled me out of the grave of my sin. I am a miracle. And so are you.

I may not think I excel at many things. I really don't. I don't always win, and I'm not always the best, but I do know this. I have faith. Faith that no matter how bad things seem at the time, God will always carry me through it.

In the wake of my last blog, I have to give you a little update. And it really seems like the smallest little thing, but for me, it was just exactly what I needed and God knew it.

Yesterday at work, I was talking to some co-workers in another room. I came back to my office to find that I had an urgent voicemail left on my phone. My first response was "Yup, makes sense. What could have possibly gone wrong now?" I listened to the voicemail. It was from a mom I had taken over for when I first started my job here. She's a recovering cocaine user with two kids. Her son Michael was my favorite. I loved that kid. He was hilarious and awesome. And so smart. The mom had so many goals, so many things she wanted to do. But things take time and not everything was accomplished when my time with her was over. I've done both my 6 and 12 month follow-ups for her, and I visited her at her last one. She doesn't need to speak with me or hear from me again after that last follow-up and usually I don't. But she called me yesterday. I called her back, and all she wanted was to say thank you to me. Pretty much a thanks in believing that she could continue to remain sober and believing that she could accomplish everything on her own. She had gotten a house and a car since the last time I spoke with her and her son Michael is going into kindergarten or 1st grade now. I'm not sure which. And she's really active at the school.

That short little 5 minute phone call lifted my spirits SO much. I'm glad she remembers me through all this. Her voicemail said she had been sitting there at her house yesterday morning thinking about me. God put me in her brain. He did that so she could call and make what I do worth it, even if it was just for a short time.

I'm still struggling, don't get me wrong. Everything isn't going to be fixed in a day, but it's a nice little reminder to me that if anything, ONE person was positively effected by having God's light shine through me in their presence.

That is all.