Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Another one.

Well folks. I spoke too soon. Had myself another bad dream two nights ago. When I woke up from this dream I realized that it is all too familiar.

This time, it was not a friend who was trying to harm me. It was just a man. A man who was creeping around my house and gazing into the windows looking for me. He knocked on the door and someone let him in. I hid. It was pretty creepy.

When I woke up, I suddenly remembered that I have these kinds of dreams often. I don't know why that kind of thing is lurking in my subconscious. This man wanted to hurt me, and then kill me. Ugh.

I wonder if it's from all the fear I ignore most days. Some would say I'm naive when it comes to some realities. I am an in-home social worker in Detroit. I wouldn't say this the safest profession for me to have stumbled upon, but I am not fearful. I work alone, most days, and I don't just walk into my office and sit there for 8 hours. For example, today, I will spend approximately two hours in my office, and outside of that I am in the field.

I have no fear. I wonder if that makes me brave or just stupid. I wouldn't say stupid. I think it makes me brave, so that's what I'm going to run with.

Believe it or not, when I move on from this job, I think I'll miss the city a little bit. I heard a radio ad the other day that was saying the Detroit has a pulse. I 110% agree with that. Detroit is struggling, but the city is alive. You just need to know what you're looking for. Outside the abandoned, gutted structures, are the people. The people who breathe life and culture into the city. It's really amazing when I see it.

I'm glad I don't live my life in fear. There isn't much I'm afraid of. Things I'm scared of are kind of random: drowning, centipedes, cancer, balloons...

What are some random things you're scared of??

So I will continue on, living my life without fear. Call me naive, but I'd rather be this way, than to miss out on the life God has created for us. Ya know?

1 comment:

OneBigHappy said...

Detroit has street after street of amazing things, if you know where to look. Even the old, burned out buildings have a lot of history to them. It is all being lost. But the museums and theaters downtown are spectacular. --- And I'm with you on the centipedes. They give meaning to the word "creepy."