Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ideas.

I work in Detroit. You all know that. What I don't talk about as much is the amount of poverty and sickness I see everyday working Detroit. It's one of those things I don't really bring up because it hurts me. I'll definitely talk about how I work in the ghetto, but that's as far as it goes.

Except now. My church is doing a series called "Hope Lives". The church, the small groups, and the student ministries are all participating together (which, by the way, I think is awesome). The series talks about poverty.

I feel like I have some definite insight to this topic. Only because I work in poverty. I see it every single day. But like I said before, I don't talk about it that much because I don't want to pretend to be a saint. I only complain when my families are getting out of control.

With that said, I'd been thinking about some things lately. That I briefly talked about at my small group last night. There is on part of town I am in often. And this part of town has more beggers than any other part of town. Everytime I see them, it breaks my heart. However, this part of town is notorious for drug use. So, hopefully you will see why I am hesitant to hand cash out my window. I feel like just handing out cash is a)feeding a habit and b) such a callous, un-loving response to the problem.

So here is my thing. I need some ideas. I need to figure out some kind of goody bag to keep in my car and to hand out to these individuals when I see them. Unparishable food I can keep in my car. So far I have the ideas of gift cards for local restaurants, bottles of water and possibly bus cards. I need to stay away from crunchy, sugary things due to possible poor dental hygiene.

Alrighty, that's all. Give me ideas!!

2 comments:

High on the Hog said...

If you give cans, make sure that you provide a spoon. Make sure that it opens without an opener. No use of a can without being able to get at it.

The Red One said...

the gift cards to local places and bus cards are good and simple ways to help fill the need without worrying about feeding a habit. Those that truly need will happily accept, those that want drugs or booze will leave you alone.