Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Traditions.

I really enjoy traditions. And I usually forget how much I enjoy them, until I experiene them again. For example. Last night, my dad informs me that the International Space Station (ISS for those who speak nerd) and the freshly launched shuttle will be visible to us in short time frame that evening. He also informed me we'd be walking to the park to watch it. To this I said "absolutely".

There was no question of whether or not I was going, I just was. I remember being just a kid and my dad telling me that him and myself and my brother would be bringing the blanket out in the backyard that night to watch the meteor shower, or bringing out that same blanket to watch the Hale-Bopp comet fly overhead. And even when I was at school last year, the ISS and a shuttle flew over in a celestial game of tag (one right after the other). I went out to watch even then. And satellite counting up north while laying on the spider-infested dock. But I didn't care about the spiders because its tradition.

I love having moments like that with my dad. I love having moments like that with anyone. Things that I do just because that is the only way.

I can't wait to create moments like that with my kids. (That I'll apparently be popping out around age 35, according to Zombie) I will take my kids outside to watch satellites, and coments, and the space station. I will send the boys away a weekend close to Christmas just so I can wrap presents with my daughter. I will give my daughter flowers on her birthday when she hits her teens. I will turn off all the lights in my house and play capture the flag with my kids with glow-in-the-dark flags. And I will make snow forts in the backyard and fling snow balls at my kids as they laugh and hide while the dog chases them around.

I'm glad I had loving parents to give me these things.


What traditions did you have??

1 comment:

Allison said...

I love traditions too! Every morning my dad would drive me to preschool and we would listen to pink floyd or eric clapton. In first grade he pulled me out of class to watch a pink floyd blimp fly over our city, totally random but I will never forget it!