Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Things I like. Part two.

I was driving home just now listening to Matt Nathanson's live album. I believe it's called "At the Point". The man is an amazing musician. This particular album is a little... um... colorful. Matt is, like I said, an amazing musician, but I do believe he could have done well as a comedian.

But that's beside the point.

Towards the end of the album, he sings a song called "Suspended". He plays it so beautifully live. And here is the thing I like:

The audience is so very into the song, and the performance, they are completely silent.

I mean, during live shows, there always seems to be a white noise of mur-murs. Which seems typical because people will talk to each other.

Until the performer plays one amazing, quiet, meaningful song and everyone shuts up and is completely drawn in by the music. I love this. I've been to many shows where this has happened. Where the artist almost is pouring their souls to you from on stage. At which point all you can do it just stop and watch them give this heart wrenching performance with you mouth hanging wide open. At least, that's what happens to me.

That's one more thing I like.

Hope you like it too.

No comments: