Thursday, April 29, 2010

first impressions

Hello all.

I'm a world traveler! woo.

I've been here two days and really haven't seen much outside of Mannheim (where we are staying), but I love it here so far. I just spent like three hours just walking around the city. I came back to the hotel to cool off for a second.

So here are some things I've noticed so far:
-Jet lag sucks. By the time I got to the hotel yesterday, I'd been up 24 hours. Needless to say, but I took a nap, lol.
-The food is different, but I've enjoyed the majority of it so far. I bought a pretzel from a street cart today. It was delicious.
- I feel like God is hogging the cool part of the clouds. On the plane ride over, the clouds were beautiful.
- From the plane I noticed that Germany is very green.

And most of all, I love how classic everything is. In America we have to constantly update everything. I now decided we got screwed out of just awesome looking places. From what I've been told, Mannheim is pretty updated because I guess during WW2 it was bombed a lot. Not sure why, about to look it up though. The oldest things here are the wasserturm or water tower, and the university which used to be a palace. Some of the streets are still stone and some of the apartments are pretty classic looking. OH and people ride their bikes EVERYWHERE. Which is something I would also say the states is lacking.

Well that's all from me so far. May not hear from me again until I get home seeing as I have to pay for the internet in the room and it's like 13 euros a day. And my dad is off work after tonight, so we'll be doing more sight-seeing. I'm about to head out and try to find this chocolate shop I passed by earlier and to get some food. Wish me luck ordering food... haha.

God bless!!!!

2 comments:

OneBigHappy said...

I was in Germany once. Most of the people were very nice. And there are many more older areas than in the states. It's not just in Germany, but all throughout Europe there are lots of very old buildings and monuments. There are many churches that are older than the United States. Some Europeans have a different perspective on time and government and culture than we do because of this reality. Our culture and mindset are very short term/transient. I'M GLAD YOU'RE HAVING FUN! Bring home lots of pictures. peace.

hillary said...

Trust me, I got pictures. A lot of pictures. They'll be on facebook when I get back :)