Monday, June 27, 2011

Marathon training day 1

So here is the conclusion I've come to. I'm going to start training as if I'm running the full marathon, which is my plan. But if I am physically unable to keep up with that, I may just run the half and make the full my goal for next year. You might be thinking, "Well why the defeatist attitude?" I'm just being realistic. I may not be able to physically do it. And I don't want to injury myself to the point where I may never be able to even think about attempting a marathon in the future.

Aside from that, today was the first day of official training. I was little pessimistic because my diet wasn't super great this weekend. I went to Indiana to visit Meredith and visiting anywhere doesn't always equal the greatest food choices. My run went well considering. I ran about a 11-min mile, which is really what I'm aiming for. If it inadvertently improves over the course of the next couple months, great, but I'm not trying to win any awards here. Just to finish the race, and accomplish a personal goal.

So a couple things I noticed today.
-I don't like running into wind.
-However, the wind is useful, as it drys the sweat on my face which would otherwise be going into my eyes.
-I need a sweatband.
-Not a fan of hills either, but I realized today that if I pay attention to my breathing, I am able to get it back to normal.
-I need shorts. Ick.

Alright. Day 1 completed! I'm pretty excited overall. And a little scared.

I just have to remember this one little things: If it were supposed to be easy, everyone would do it.

No comments: