Thursday, January 12, 2012

Comic Books.



I thought I'd write a little  blurb about comic books. 

For me, it started as a direct result of having few female friends. I've never been very good at relating to my gender kin, and I've reached an all-time low now that my darling Britts has left me for North Carolina.

Hanging out with the boys has changed how, as a girl, I'm entertained. Firstly, I like those silly video games. I sometimes laugh at things that are inappropriate. And my new thing is comic books. 

It started at the Detroit Fanfare this year. I went because Adam Baldwin from Chuck and the XFiles, was going to be there. And I thought it'd be fun to be in an extremely nerdy environment for an extended period of time. While there, I learned that they were rereleasing some of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics. Being a fan of them as a child, I thought it'd be kind of cool to buy the first two issues. 

I quite enjoyed them and the fanfare, actually. Then I was lent some others by friends and here we are. I'm currently following four different stories. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Uncanny X Force, Amazing Spiderman, and just starting Wolverine and the X Men. And I really want to start the New 52 of Batman. 

This is so strange to me. I never thought I'd be even remotely into such a thing. I'm naturally a reader though. I love to read. And comics are very interesting to a reader who is used to novels and such. It's completely different and to be honest I've had some difficulty adjusting to it. I want to read through the dialouge quickly and know what happens. You can't do that with comics. You have to digest it slowly, and look at the artwork and all that. With novels you create the scenery in your head, with comics, it's provided for you. 
 I'm finding this allows you to learn more about the complexity and personalities of the different characters. It's awesome.


So yeah, I read comic books. And I'm grateful to have the kind of friends who are willing to introduce me to the things they enjoy. Even if I am a girl :P

Yep. :) 

2 comments:

OneBigHappy said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of comic books. You will not be sorry, except that it costs too much if you get too into it.

Burkulater said...

My BIL gave us a couple several years ago. They're still sitting on the shelf!